High School Prep and Pre-season Camp
A proven, progressive program for High School Players
"Our goal is to maximize time with the coaching staff, with the ball, with other players and with preparing players physically, mentally, athletically for the forthcoming High School pre-season, tryouts and season".
HS Prep Weeks:
- July 30th - August 3rd: Greenwich Country Day
- August 6th - August 10th: Greenwich Country Day
- Camp Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
HS Pre-season Weeks:
- August 13th - August 16th (Thursday): Greenwich HS
- August 20th - August 23rd (Thursday): Greenwich HS
- Camp Hours: 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Kurt Putnam, Greenwich High School Boys Varsity Coach (ONLY PREP CAMP)
- Simon Rumbold, Greenwich High School Girls Varsity Coach, Former Yeshiva College Men's Coach (ONLY PREP CAMP)
- Stuart Smith, Sacred Heart Girls Varsity Coach
- Leo Germiniani, University of Bridgeport Fitness/SAQ Coach
- Johnny Macadam, University of Bridgeport
- Kirk Taylor, Tom Clements, Ryan Perkins, Jack Booth, Lewys Jones
The High School Prep Camp is simply what it states, preparation for the forthcoming demands of the High School Pre-season. Players should have time away from the game after a club season, but gradual reintroduction to the demands of the game and pre-season are critical. This component to the Cardinal camp is run specifically for those players entering, or in High School. The programs component's consist of: technical ball work under pressure, small-sided games, SAQ (speed, agility, quickness), power, flexibility, coordination and recovery, shooting and finishing. Due to the nature of the program and the individual attention given by the coaches to each player for their development, the Prep Camp is limited to 24 boys and 24 girls. It is set as two back-to-back weeks for 3 hours per day, so players are eased into the demands from week 1 to week 2. While a single week can be done, the greatest benefit is derived from both weeks since they are planned with progression as the key objective.
The High School Pre-season Camp is directed by Stuart Smith who has run Greenwich High School Boys pre-season for the past 13 years. In that time frame injuries have been significantly reduced before and during the regular season while the winning percentage of the program remains the highest in the FCIAC Conference (6 tournament finals in past 11 years). Kurt Putnam (GHS Boys Head Coach) owes his team's ability and opportunity to start fast in the conference and maintain this during the season due to the planning and work engaged in pre-season and the 2 components are the Prep camp followed by Pre-season. Pre-season is progressively designed program that incorporates station work of varying degrees of technical and cardiovascular (aerobic and anaerobic) and tactical/decision-making demands. There is a high emphasis in the 2nd week to phase of play, team shape, positional responsibilities, full-game play and the tactical aspects of attacking centrally and from the flanks.
- Players attending this camp have not only come from all of the local High Schools; Greenwich, Brunswick, KING, Rye, Sacred Heart, Holy Child, GA, but from the local premier soccer programs. Some players have even come as far as England, California and Florida... who, while visiting family have sought out one of the best run pre-season preparatory courses.
- The cost of these two weeks equals the cost of one week elsewhere, yet the benefits are that our coaches know many of the players, so they are more familiar with personalities and how to motivate and challenge players. Residential prep camps often fill in the non-soccer time with the swimming pool, dorm down-time, movies and a lot of talking. We know this as we have done these camps ourselves as coaches.